In business since 1891, S.B. White Company, Inc. is one of the oldest incorporated firms still doing business here in Johnson City, Tennessee.
The work performed in the shop was chiefly sheet metal work for roofing, guttering, spouting, metal kitchen, and farm utensils. His products included butter cans to hold three to five pounds of butter, a popular item. The container was handy for marketing butter to stores.
The business was purchased by H.C. Dance in 1946. The present business was incorporated in 1956 with Mrs. Dance, President, and Jess B. McKinney, Vice President and General Manager. At that time it was located at 331 W. Walnut Street. In 1961, the company built a new corporate headquarters at 609 W. Walnut Street and acquired Cary Plumbing Company. That allowed the company to enhance its business by now being able to offer plumbing and mechanical piping. The business quickly outgrew its new building at 609 W. Walnut and the sheet metal shop was relocated back to 331 W. Walnut in 1964. In 1972, the company purchased the old Coca-Cola building in downtown Johnson City and combined the offices, sheet metal shop, and plumbing shop in its current location. R. Wayne McKinney succeeded his father as Vice President and General Manager in 1984. In 2005, David McKinney was promoted to Vice President and General Manager starting a third generation of family leadership.